NEWS RELEASE –July 28, 2014
from The Friends of the Ralph Connor House
The “House That Books Built” - Ralph Connor House at 54 West Gate in Armstrong's Point - is 100 years old this September.
This National Heritage Site has survived wars, depressions and floods and was saved twice from the threat of demolition. It is a beautiful mansion rented for weddings, memorials, parties and dinners and used by business and professional groups for meetings, conferences, dinners and many other functions. Meanwhile, day-to-day it is the beloved home to the University Women’s Club of Winnipeg that has preserved it for the City and its citizens.
From September 2014 until June 2015 there will be monthly events to celebrate the Centennial.
A preview will be at the Pavilion of Scotland during Folklorama – come and see our kilted volunteers.
On September 7, the House will be featured in the Armstrong’s Point Tour.
* The Formal Opening of the Centennial year will be Saturday September 13.
* The second book about the House – The First Women – will be launched in September
* The Manitoba Writers’ Festival - THIN AIR – will welcome all on Sunday September 21 when four Manitoba authors will be featured including Ralph Connor
* A Small Treasures Sale will open at Ralph Connor House on Saturday September 27
* October 5 will find the St. Andrews Society and the Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders in an event at the House.
Watch for information on monthly events and come visit Ralph Connor House. Tours are available by reservation every third Wednesday during the winter and Tuesdays and Thursdays during the summer.
Phone 204 954 7880 for more information.